Just in time for the first sign of fall chill – my version of pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or replace 1/2 cup of wheat flour with brown rice or almond flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of fine sea salt
pinch of ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cardamon, ground clove, ground nutmeg to taste
*1/2 stick unsalted organic butter, melted & cooled
*(low-fat version 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce or 3/4 cup prune mixture – 1 cup dried prunes in small saucepan, just cover with water, bring to a boil, put whole mixture in food processor and puree)
1 cup succanant or dark brown sugar
2 large organic eggs
1 15 once can of pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 12 once bag of semisweet chocolate chips
1. Perheat oven to 375 degrees, spray medium/large muffin tray with light coating of non-stick cooking spray
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, in medium mixxing bowl – set aside.
3. Whisk together the cooled melted butter(apple sauce or prunes in low-fat), sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree, and vanilla in large mixing bowl. With wooden spoon, stir in the four mixture until just combined. Add entire bag of chocolate chips and mix.
4. Fill each muffin cup 3/4ths full and bake until golden brown, around 20-25 minutes. When toothpick comes out clean they are done. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
5. Try not to eat all of them in one sitting.
Adapted from “Mom’s Big Book of Baking” by Lauren Chattman